As experienced dancers we all want to encourage and help others to join the dance, be successful, and enjoy themselves. Sometimes this is not as straightforward as it might seem. Community dances attract a wide range of people with different levels of ability and experience.
Here are some key tips:
- Listen to the caller and encourage others to do likewise
- Use body language to direct rather than words, pointing or pushing
- Watch the other dancers, especially your partner
- It’s a social activity – invite newbies to dance
- Dances don’t always go exactly as planned – relax, dance well, and be cheerful.